Sunday 18 April 2010

Each sunset now is flecked with tears, and the tears are dripping into my beers

So the two week holiday just went by in about 20 minutes. I haven't covered myself in glory blogging-wise, but what can I say - I've been busy. Ish. A run of heavy drinking coincided appallingly yesterday with a two hour visit from the landlady. The lowest moment came with a lengthy and interactive tutorial on how I could optimise the performance of the dishwasher (you're supposed to put salt in?), which I hummed and hawed at like an utter moron, standing as far away as was politely possible to try to contain my tramp-like booze odour.

I did discover an excellent book - One Day by David Nicholls - which introduces two characters, Dexter and Emma, with a drunken bunk-up on their graduation day and revisits them on the same date every year for the next two decades. Brilliantly well-written, funny and readable. Much to the missus's vocal and violent disgust I was nose-deep in it until about 3am a couple of days ago, and when the light went out spent quite a while worrying about Dexter's creeping alchohol problem and Emma's terrible love life. I then forced myself to think about the real world, which meant I ended up re-running the horror show emails I'd seen on my Blackberry earlier that day. I decided I was much safer with Dexter and Emma and turned my full attention back to them. Not a viable option from tomorrow morning onwards, sadly.

I went to see the glorious Luke Haines playing live at The Garage in Islington on Thursday. Seeing him is always a double-yolker of a night, because as well as hearing music I love the whole experience boosts my self confidence enormously. LH attracts quite a specific type of dangerous loner, who tends to stand rigidly still and stare, unblinking, up at the stage and mouth the more alarming lyrics while somewhere in a bedsit far away the girl he trussed up that morning tries to fray her rope handcuffs on the edge of a VHS copy of The Matrix. It's rare that I'm in a room with 300 other people and am utterly confident I'm among the coolest 5%. It did mean I missed the electoral debate ("worst Kraftwerk gig ever" - Popbitch) but I imagine I'd have been making a cup of tea within seconds if I had been at home.

This is utterly brilliant - classic computer game characters destroy New York:



And finally, Adam Buxton sums up how I feel about the end of my holiday:

0 comments:

Post a Comment