Sunday 23 May 2010

29 not out

Birthday today, and what a ruddy nice day for it. Spent a long time crisping up on the roof terrace, listening to appalling Europop flamenco from the flat opposite and aggressive motivational shouting from the community centre down the road ("You quittin' now bwoy? I AIN'T HEARING THAT YOU BE QUITTIN'!").

I'm too heat-wilted to blog extensively this evening, and I've got sun lotion in my eye which is hampering my concentration, but thought I'd share a nugget from last night.  The missus treated me to dinner in Wild Honey, which aside from sharing its name with an excellent Beach Boys song is a nice Frenchy restaurant.  After we'd ordered the waiter placed a piece of slate between us with great ceremony.  On it was a pale golf ball-shaped object.  Ah, I though knowledgably, the amuse-bouche.  I like to know what I'm eating, so I politely asked the waiter what exactly it was.  His mouth twitched.  "It's the butter, sir" he replied with a mixture of kindness and pity.

5 comments:

vendeursderêve said...

(re-happy birthday, since I already said that on FB)

Is it buggery a french restau. It might be french-style but they serve far too much local (english) produce (turnips?! cullen skink?!) and also has an international winelist - am not dissing, mind. Sounds divine.

Then again, maybe it's the snooty service that gives it that french touch.

My NZ cousin(s) came over to France visit me in Bordeaux, got as far as Paris then headed back to England. It seems the parisiens were not on their best behaviour this week. Bastards.

Gareth said...

Fair point - bouillabaisse alone does not a French restaurant make!

NZ v French is a fairly fundamental culture clash. To be fair to the waiter, he wasn't French and was about the right level of snooty given my hideous stupidity. My girlfriend almost inhaled her napkin with mirth.

momoirotoeic said...

ペペローションオルガスター大人 玩具大型ホールあなる

Gareth said...

I Googled 吐息's comment above in the hope that it said "Much like Shampoo and Menswe@r, you and your blog are inexplicably massive in Japan".

Sadly, it appears he is trying to tell me "Oh that big hole adult toys".

Anonymous said...

シャンプー、 Menswe@r を同じように、あなたとあなたのブログがどういうわけか日本で大規模なさ

Post a Comment