Monday 28 September 2009

So. What do you do?

My school reunion was supposed to be next weekend. Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of the organiser, it was crushed by only attracting four acceptances on Facebook and has been cancelled. I think there were two problems. One is the hideously public nature of the Facebook invitation system which encourages lurking on a massive scale, with dozens of people waiting for enough of their friends to break rank first. That’s certainly what I was doing.

The other is more fundamental. Facebook has killed the meaningful reunion. I am friends with at least 20 people on there that I haven’t seen since the glorious day in 1999 when I strode out of the school gates and became a man (-ish, given that I looked like a lesbian hippy. Ah, last day fancy dress - what a hoot). I’ve got Facebook friends from school that I couldn't pick out of a line-up containing them, my parents and the Cadbury’s gorilla. Why would I go all the way to Nottingham to eat sausage rolls with them? All I need to know is who has a better job than me and who is balder than me - I can find that out at home and sob over my own sausage rolls.

Just to prove I’m not the dangerous loner that the paragraph above suggests, I spent Saturday lounging around on Primrose Hill with my girlfriend. Seconds after I alerted her to the high-celeb count in the area we chanced upon Alexa Chung and a Geldof. Chung was beautiful of face and terrifyingly skinny of leg. The Geldof, with her peroxide fright-wig, fag hanging out of messy red lips and bovver boots, looked she was in a Saved By The Bell ‘issues’ episode about falling in with the wrong crowd and ending up looking like a picture of a punk drawn by a dog. I expected Zack and A.C. Slater to leap out of a car and bundle her off to that shit canteen for some magic tricks from the creepy owner. Obscene hereditary privilege - just say no.

0 comments:

Post a Comment