Wednesday 5 August 2009

Ahead of my time

I was standing at a level crossing this evening, waiting for the lights to change. The song I was listening to needed changing (it must have gone past the first chorus - I now have the attention span of a goldfish with a head injury). While I was thoughtfully thumbing my iPod wheel I felt my Blackberry vibrating in my jacket. My company needed me. So I fished it out and checked the message with my non-iPod hand.

"Your mailbox has exceeded memory capacity". Important to know. As I was manipulating the two separate pieces of technology, one eye on each like an early adopting lizard, I heard a noise over the music along the lines of "WOCCCHAFINKOOUKUKIKE YOU WANKER!". I looked up at the gurning face of a chimpanzee behind an open window at the wheel of a white van. I glanced at the girl waiting to my right to check I hadn't imagined it. She was laughing. Not smirking, actually guffawing.

The lights changed, the monkeymobile pulled away and laughing girl pulled herself together. I crossed the road and started deleting the larger messages from my inbox.

What humiliation will happen on the walk home tomorrow, I wonder? Will my trousers fall down as I walk past the all-girl sixth form college netball court?

0 comments:

Post a Comment